WordPress is quickly becoming the go-to technology for any writer who wants to start a simple yet very effective website for themselves. (And remember, a website is the #1 tool a writer has to meet readers, market themselves, sell books, and become a more valuable author to agents & editors.) With that in mind, we’ve brought back popular webinar instructor Jane Friedman to teach “WordPress Websites 101: Best Practices, Tools & Growth Strategies” — a 90-minute webinar on Thursday, Nov. 29, 2012. She will address things like how to have your site make money, how to show up higher in Google search results, and more!
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN:
- How to work within the backend of WordPress to optimize your site for search engines like Google
- How to use all types of media into your website
- How to utilize widgets provided by other sites (for example: Amazon widgets to feature your book!)
- How to incorporate e-mail and RSS feeds so readers can subscribe to your personal blog, if you have one
- How to incorporate a free e-mail newsletter sign-up form or widget
- How to start monetizing your site through referral links, advertising, and eCommerce (some options only available to self-hosted sites)
- How to grow traffic to your site, and how to interpret Google Analytics to better understand your traffic and visitors (some options only available to self-hosted sites)
- The biggest mistakes authors make in designing and presenting content on their websites. Sign up for the webinar here.
Jane Friedman, former publisher of Writer’s Digest, now serves as web editor for the Virginia Quarterly Review. Jane has more than a decade of hands-on experience in using new media and technology to engage and grow both online and offline communities, and has been blogging for an audience of creative professionals since 2001. Her own website at JaneFriedman.com enjoys more than 35,000 unique visitors every month, and was named one of the Top 10 Blogs for Writers in 2011/2012.